Friday, August 23, 2013

All my possessions for a moment of time

"All my possessions for a moment of time"  was apparently the last words that Queen Elizabeth the 1st said before she died. Some people speculate that she was wishing for her ex-lover Robert Dudley.

I wrote a poem along those lines a couple of months back - no relation to recent events.

All my possessions for a moment of time  
A moment to reflect 
A moment to ponder  
A moment to weep for what was lost
All my possessions for a moment of your time 

A time long gone 
A lover that cannot love back 
A moment lost forever
 
All my possessions are useless to me 
My gold, my silver, my palatial palaces 
They cannot love me, they cannot return your affection
I would trade all my possessions  
To hear your voice say my name kindly again 
To feel the touch of your hand on my cheek 
To sleep on the warmth of your chest.
No more. No more. You are gone.  
Dust. And all I have are my possessions.
What good are they to me now?
  Yauming Chiam April 2013.

No comments: